Friday 12 October 2012

Setting JPEGs to open with Windows Photo and Fax Viewer

On Windows XP, for some unknown reason, sometimes sets something else other than Windows Photo and Fax Editor as the default program for opening jpeg's.

Instead, and I've seen multiple instances of this at work, it uses something else (I forget what, but I'll check when I'm back in and update this page).  This is fine except that the jpeg's refuse to open.  No errors, nothing.  My users often get pictures of exciting stuff like pallets that have fallen over, and are very eager to look at them!  They double-click the file from within outlook and then call us to whinge report an issue.

The easy, on-the-spot fix is to find a jpeg on the PC somewhere, right-click, open with..  then select Windows Photo and Fax Viewer, check the 'always use this program' option and click OK.  However, we would rather not have to do this individually whenever the problem appears, and it's user-specific, meaning that a.user logs into PC1, has the fix applied, then logs into PC2 and has to have the fix done again.  In the meantime another.user logs into PC1, and again, has to have the fix applied.

So I've found the registry key(s) that need to be added, and created a little .reg file that can be run on each machine.  How you do this is up to you.  The way we are planning on doing this where I am is by adding a line to the kix scripts that run on each user's logon to run the file.  (I've never had to use kix scripts before, but that's how a lot of things are set in my new job, for now..  )

The .reg file is just:

I'd have just added a line to the end of the user's logon script with:

regedit /S "<PATH_TO_FILE>\JpegFileExt.reg"

but that's just personal preference and familiarity.  I'm sure there's a way to add reg keys using group policy as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment